Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.15
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £105.90
- 3-month PPC: £29.65
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 15 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC, for further information please visit: Buy or Renew a PPC on-line .
- Telephone advice and order line: 0300 330 1341
- NHS Help with Health Costs helpline: 0300 330 1343
- Prescription services helpline: 0300 330 1349
- Queries about medical exemption certificates: 0300 330 1341
- Queries about prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs): 0300 330 1341
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website